Saturday, August 13, 2011

Apps I Can’t Live Without

I’m back!!! The real world has crept back into my life this past week with the start-up of school. Teachers went back this Wednesday and the new lovelies join us this coming Wednesday. I enjoyed meeting most of my students on Friday night during Meet The Teacher. I have to say, I am quite excited to get this new year started!

I thought I would share some apps I use on a daily basis for personal organization in and outside of the classroom. I would be L.O.S.T. without them!

Dropbox is my all-time favorite. I have it on my PC, iPad, and Android phone. Dropbox allows you to upload files to a web-based folder (cloud), and then access that folder anywhere there is internet access. Did I mention this app is FREE!!!

How do I use it?

  • My grade level team plans, so we have a lesson plan template that we all share via Dropbox.
  • I store pictures to share with my kiddos in class.
  • Pretty much everything I want to bring from home to school, or vice versa, I drop it in the box!

Good Reader is an app for the iPad that I use to view PDF files when I don’t have internet access. Dropbox can be synced right to Good Reader. You download the files you want to have handy anytime, and voila!

How do I use it?

  • I always download my weekly lesson plans in PDF format to Good Reader from my Dropbox. No printing lesson plans required!

Pocket Informant is my BFF!!! This handy app is a daily planner that syncs with most web-based calendars. The possibilities for planning your time are endless with this one app.

How do I use it?

  • I have all my Google Calendars synced with my Pocket Informant. I have a school calendar, grade level planning calendar, family calendar, and personal calendar all synced in one spot!
  • I also use it to make Task Lists.

Teacher Pal is a great friend to have! This little app allows you to organize classroom contacts, attendance, and grades. You can also enter notes about behavior. This app syncs with Dropbox to backup information as well! Yay Dropbox!!!
This will be my first year using it, so I will have to let you know how I use it effectively.

I hope you check some of these out if you haven’t already!

Signature

1 comment:

  1. Based on your recommendations I just downloaded Dropbox and bought GoodReader. Please post more about how you are using it. I'm an inexperienced iPad2 user, but I felt I just need to dig in and start.
    Deborah
    http://splitmultigradeclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete